In our world things change by the millisecond.
We build the technology that creates amazing moments and better connects our customers. Ready to play your part? Join us, and Be Phenomenal. Working towards the same shared goal of better connectivity, our tech teams enjoy a high degree of autonomy. We love hearing ideas and seeing them come to life. With great resources, you’ll get to be part of the leading team at the foundations of the transformation of our business. Who knows what the next innovation will be? That’s what makes a career at Three so exciting.
Since we set foot in Ireland, we’ve done things differently.
Investing in infrastructure, we built a network that now connects 2.2 million customers nationwide, carrying more data than all of our competitors combined. We take the script and rip it up, we’re a big-hearted energetic bunch, striving for a better connected life. We encourage our employees to face their weaknesses, to really open themselves up to new challenges and projects in a super-charged and rich learning environment. We want you to become the best version of yourself.
Join us as a IP Design Engineer.
Three is currently evolving to a fully virtualized core network, expanding our ICT portfolio, and strengthening our offerings in IOT, and UC. With the introduction of 5G, customization of the core network (slicing) will become much more central to our product offerings in Commercial, Business and Wholesale.
The overall objective for the IP Network team is to achieve efficient, high quality and cost-effective delivery, while maintaining network stability and meeting growth and performance demands.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the scope, design, and delivery of medium and large complexity IP solutions across the six IP Network Domains listed below:
- Data Voice & Messaging
- Network Services
- Enterprise IT
- Automation & Cloud
- Access & Interconnect
What else it involves
- Translating business requirements into IP Designs whilst complying with IP domain roadmaps, capacity planning and adhering to security standards.
- Develop and drive an IP automation strategy to increase productivity, efficiency, FTR implementation and provide consistency checking using best practice methodologies.
- Preparing HLD/LLD/MOP documents, writing test plans, performing testing, participating in operational readiness, and leading handovers to the IP Operations Teams.
- Attending technical workshops and drive knowledge transfer forums, e.g. IP Design Board to socialize IP Designs to both IP Design and IP Operations peers.
- Provide a smooth handover of IP network architecture, configuration changes and monitoring into IP Operations.
- Troubleshooting any technical issues that may arise during the implementation phase of an IP solution ensuring a smooth transition to the IP Operations team.
- Preparing network and security configurations and interfacing with the IP Operations team in advance of deployment.
- Engaging and adhering to Three Ireland's processes and guidelines for implementing changes on the IP Network, e.g. Change Management, Operational Readiness, Acceptance into Service.
- Contribute to process improvements and the resolution of complex problems as the need arises.
- Leading and participating in impact assessments - quantifying the IP Design effort and associated capex charges for medium/large complexity IP solutions.
- Producing and maintaining high quality reference documentation including topology diagrams.
- Resolving Problem Tickets that have been created as a result of P1 incidents and which require an IP Design focus and/or an IP solution to close.
- Working closely with the InfoSec Team to ensure the IP project deliverables meet the Security Policy.
- Identify opportunities for operational efficiencies.
- Ensuring that EOL (End of Life) risks are accurately represented and maintained in the IP Risk Register and have a clear mitigation strategy by being mapped to projects as part of the yearly portfolio exercise.
- Remaining abreast of current and emerging industry trends, technologies, and best practices; identifying opportunities for efficiencies and making recommendations for improvements.
- Participating in and evaluating RFPs for services and IP technical solutions.
- Working under the direction of the IP Domain Managers, IP Performance Consultant, and IP Architects to develop a best-in-class IP Network.
- Using in-depth technical knowledge of the mobile industry to play a leadership role in the formulation of strategic/bespoke IP solutions.
- Act as a role model and provide direction, leadership and strategy to the IP teams motivating them to high levels of engagement.
- Participation in deep dive investigations, e.g. latency, MTU, speed test performance, etc.
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve Customer experience.
- Successful delivery of IP projects that will introduce optimization to enhance our internal and external Customer experience.
- Participating in initiatives to investigate and address Customer experience issues or poor performance highlighted due to Crowd Source/Umlaut benchmark testing and speed test results.
- Provide technical governance and signoff for the delivery of IP owned or led initiatives.
Mentor and develop team members and drive to set high standards and develop a culture of achievement and high performance.
Degree in Computer Science or Engineering and a CCIE qualification with a minimum of 4 years of proven experience within a Telco or Service Provider environment.
Must have a strong Cisco and/or Juniper background with LAN/WAN/SDWAN/WIFI experience
Technically strong in routing, security and DPI technologies and vendors – including Cisco, Juniper, Fortinet, Sandvine, Arbor and F5.
Experience with Cloud solutions such as AWS and/or AZURE is beneficial.
Proficiency in scripting, e.g. Python, API development and Git workflows, along with hands-on knowledge of Configuration Management and deployment tools such as Ansible.
Experience with Security solutions such as Firewall, IDS/IPS, URL Filtering is preferable.
Must have proven experience of L2/L3 protocols and technologies, such as MPLS, IoT, BGP, OSPF, RIP, IPSec, VoIP, VXLAN, QoS, 802.1Q/QinQ, MTU, Ethernet, xDSL, Wireless Leased lines, Wifi, Cellular technologies 3G/4G/5G and Overlay solutions (SDWAN).
Ability to understand the customer impact in incident management or at the IP design phase.
Proven experience of designing and delivering medium/large IP network solutions.
Ability to work efficiently as a team player and contribute to team effectiveness.
Experience in presenting to both technical and non-technical audiences.
Proven track record in designing and delivering complex IP network solutions, striving for continuous improvement, and driving efficiencies, whilst maintaining high levels of customer satisfaction.
Outstanding relationship management skills with an ability and willingness to work with, lead and influence people at all levels across the organization.
Highly motivated individual who is willing to go the extra mile to achieve high quality outcomes.
High level of flexibility, willingness to learn and develop both individually and as part of a team.